Monday, July 12, 2010

Recipe #14: Currant Scones

Scones! I hadn't made scones in years, so I decided for a ladies tea party I was holding that I would try them out again. I found them at allrecipes.com, and they were easy and sososo good. I fussed with them a little, but you can see my version here, and the websites version above. Serve them warm with butter or devonshire cream, and some jam. Mmm...

Next time I try scones, it's going to be these raspberry ones a friend sent me. They look amazing.

Ingredients

*2 cups all-purpose
*1/3 cup sugar
*1 teaspoon baking powder
*1/4 teaspoon baking soda
*1/2 teaspoon salt
*1 teaspoon lemon zest
*1/2 cup unsalted butter, frozen
*1/2 cup dried currants
*1/2 cup sour cream
*1 large egg

Directions

1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat over to 400 degrees F.

2. In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest. Grate butter into flour mixture on the large holes of a box grater. Use your fingers to work in butter until the mixture looks like coarse meal, then stir in currants.

3. In a small bowl, whisk sour cream and egg until smooth.

4. Using a fork, stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture until large dough clumps form. Use your hands to press the dough together against the bowl into a ball. It might be sticky in places, but keeping working it and it will come together.

5. Place on a lightly floured surface and pat into a circle that's about 3/4 inch thick. Use a sharp knife to cut into triangles (recipe called for 8, but mine was more like 12). Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, about 1 inch apart. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake for about 15-17 minutes, or until golden. Serve warm.

No comments: