Monday, November 30, 2009

Recipe #9: Tomato Chickpea Soup with Barley


I got this recipe from Mike last week out of his Alberta cookbook (which I of course can't remember the name of). It's pretty good, although I suggest using a lot less rosemary (I guess I'm not a big fan), and up the cayenne (or chili powder) quotient.

Also, I would also think that this recipe would be pretty easy to vegetarianize/veganize.

Ingredients

*1 cup finely chopped lean back bacon or ham
*1 medium onion, chopped
*1 large carrot, chopped
*2 stalks celery, chopped
*2 cloves garlic, minced
*¼ cup of olive oil (I used half olive oil, half canola)
*1 14-ounce can tomatoes, pureed
*1 19-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
*5 cups chicken broth
*½ cup pearl barley or small pasta like orzo
*2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary (I used less than 1 teaspoon and thought it was too much)
*Salt and black pepper to taste
Pinch of cayenne pepper (I used about a teaspoon of chili powder for the whole batch)
Sprinkle of Parmesan cheese (makes it!!)

Directions

1. Place ham, onion, carrot, celery, and garlic in food processor and chop finely. Heat olive oil in a soup pot and sauté chopped vegetable mixture until tender and fragrant, about 10 minutes.

2. Add tomatoes to pot with chickpeas and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes.

3. Add barley and rosemary, and cook until barley is tender, about 15-20 minutes. Season to taste with salt, black pepper, and cayenne/chili pepper. Sprinkle parmesan and enjoy!

No comments: