Thursday, November 19, 2009

Recipe #8: Cocoa Chews

This is a recipe that I always associate with my mom. The only copy of it I have is handwritten by my mom into the ancient, printed upside down Mary Moore cookbook she bought years ago. It has no directions, it just has the list of ingredients. However, I watched her and have made these chews, so many times, that instructions are pretty much unnecessary. However, for you guys, I shall type 'em out! They are the easiest thing to make, and are so tasty.

Ingredients:

*1/4 cup butter
*3/4 cup sugar
*1/4 cup milk
*1 1/4-1 1/2 cups oats
*1 cup coconut
*1/4 cup cocoa powder

Directions:

1. Melt butter in large pan on low heat. Add sugar and blend together.

2. Add cocoa, coconut, and oats gradually stir together. Slowly mix in the milk and soon you will get a slightly cohesive mound of chocolate goodness.

3. Spoon dollops of mix onto a cookie pan and put in the fridge until solid. After about 45 minutes, you can shimmy them off the cookie pan and eat away!

I recommend keeping them in the fridge. They just taste better. They stay fresher and together. The coconut is really light and you can barely taste it. I also find getting the unsweetened is great, and I actually use a little less sugar than what the original recipe calls for (1 cup). Makes about 18 chews.

No comments: